Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Gary Kim Hayes - Gone in 61 Years

He was one of my best friends and one of the reasons, I now realize, why I loved the world(s) of science fiction and fantasy and why I've remained a steadfast fan of the genre ever since discovering it as a kid. Like me, Gary loved reading it, watching it, talking about it, and most especially writing it. Like me, he did not achieve the level of success he'd hoped to, and like me he resorted to self-publishing the bulk of his work as e-books. Gary was always ready to explain the "Sense of Wonder" he felt, and even after I become somewhat jaded and bitter about writing, he remained wide-eyed and passionate about it. I don't think he ever lost the joy of writing, no matter how many times his stories were rejected. It's a tough gig to try and make it as a writer, but he never gave up.

I think I am going to refocus this blog on science fiction and fantasy, and on the projects that I undertake to write and sell, or write and self-publish.

Gary only made it to the age of 61, but he did at least manage to get his "magnum opus" out into the world. Here's a link to the first book in the 6-book series. I believe he wrote these books for a very specific audience: himself. However, if you like "heroic fantasy" you might want to check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Return-Warrior-Sleags-Quest-ebook/dp/B009W8GY7E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366723473&sr=8-1&keywords=Sleag%27s

When you read it, you'll be not only be reading something that Gary loved to write, but you'll be reading what he loved to read, and you'll be visiting the world that, if there is any justice in the universe, is where he lives now.

Goodbye, Gary.

No comments:

Post a Comment